nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:54:50 -0500

At 03:22 PM 4/13/2007, Hal wrote:
I am only familiar with grafting persimmons onto larger stock with bark
grafts, not bench grafting. I would think whip and tongue would work when
the stock is pushing leaves well, but I'm not certain.

I've only done grafting onto seedling D.virginiana rootstock that was well-established, either in the nursery bed or in situ; have not done any 'bench-grafting'.
While I now do bark grafts almost exclusively, the first few persimmons I grafted were done as simple whip/splice grafts - dormant scions worked onto actively-growing rootstocks of similar diameter. I got 100% successful takes(4/4) but perhaps I didn't know any better than to do them like an apple.
My own opinion is that the type of graft performed is less important than aftercare. Persimmons vigorously push shoots from latent/dormant buds below the graft, and it is essential to keep those rubbed off - you almost have to do this on a daily basis; otherwise, these rootstock shoots will rapidly assume dominance and your grafted scion will shrivel and die.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY