nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:22:50 -0600

Shirley,

Are your asian persimmons grafted on native rootstock or D. lotus? Just
curious, as I have seen very mixed reports regarding asian persimmons after
the big freeze. Most commercially sold asian types are grafted on D. lotus,
so I am thinking that maybe the budbreak differences are due to the stock
used.

I am only familiar with grafting persimmons onto larger stock with bark
grafts, not bench grafting. I would think whip and tongue would work when
the stock is pushing leaves well, but I'm not certain. Maybe Lucky can give
you a better answer.

Hal