nafex - [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

  • From: "Shirley Murphy" <samurphy@isp.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:58:30 -0500

The freeze after a prolonged and promising early spring got both leaves and tiny fruit on my figs, plums and grapes.
Kiwi lost all leaves and blossoms (this was the first year to blossom).
Leaves remain green but fruit and blossoms were lost on apples, pears and peaches (a few new apple blossoms promise a taste)
Those with total leaf loss but not yet blossoming were boysenberry, persimmon (asian and native), pomegranate and nut trees.
Blueberries had some tip dieback and fruit and blossoms present at freeze were lost. Some varieties are now blooming so I may have a few this year.
Leaves and fruit on blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries are apparently unaffected as were leaves on currant, aronia and elderberry.
Mother Nature has made her point! May she be kind and keep the plants alive and healthy.

I was hoping to perform my first acts of grafting on persimmons (scions kindly provided by Scott). Presumably, my native persimmons (rooted in pots) and the scions (refrigerated) will still be viable for this purpose. Any suggestions on when and how to do the operation ?

SW TN - z7