nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple and plum root cuttings

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple and plum root cuttings
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:11:42 -0500

"I recently took some plum and apple suckers from local trees."

Ross,
Are you aware that many old apple trees were created using "peice root grafting" instead of what is done nowadays, "whole root grafting"? The trees were planted with the graft union below ground. If you take a sprout from one of these older trees, you won't need to graft it at all, it will be the scion tree on it's own roots. It's not just the trees from back in the 1950's and earlier done this way, there were old timers who kept up the method for at least a decade or two longer. So when you investigate a tree, it's worthwhile to ask where the owners got it. If it was a sprout from another tree, it is on it's own roots and you will get a clone with your sprout. I have a yellow sheepnose sprout given to me by a friend who was given sprouts by an old guy who told him it would come true. He has checked and it is. The trees will be full size of course, but considering the problems of grafting and rootstocks, an own root tree has it's advantages.
With plums, own root is practically a given unless it is known to be a tree from a nursery.
Good luck with your sprouts. I cut a low sprout off the rootstock of a small apple tree last year and just stuck it in the ground. It sprouted, and now it is in a spot I don't want or need it. I'm kind of afraid to dig it for fear it will die, but seeing as it didn't cost a cent I suppose I may as well try to move it. Donna