nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Effect of pollen on fruit

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Effect of pollen on fruit
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:49:37 -0700 (PDT)

If I remember correctly, this happens in corn because
the pollen is also responsible for pollinating the
endosperm which then develops and the endosperm color
is what you are seeing in the kernals. I would think
that the color of the outside of the squash should be
a maternal character as I believe it is maternal
tissue and should not be affected...

Michael

--- Jwlehman@aol.com wrote:

> Daylight Time, jfruth@tds.net
> writes:
>

> > Some time ago, someone mentioned that when cross
> pollinating a flower
> > with pollen from a different species, that the
> attributes of the pollinator
> > do not show up in the fruit. My squash would not
> agree with that: One of
> > my Chersonskaya Squash produced a female flower
> with no male flowers to
> > pollinate it so I cross pollinated it with Sweet
> Dumpling Squash pollen.
> > All of my Chersonskaya Squash produced their
> normal green fruits except
> > for the one pollinated with Sweet Dumpling which
> produced a white fruit.
> > The white fruit contained white seeds whereas all
> of the other seed is
> > brown.
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> I'm going to write about a subject I know little of,
> but here goes.
>
> When the pollen parent effects the fruit of which
> the pollen was applied it
> is called zinia (sp?). A good example is corn. If
> you mix a white corn with a
> yellow variety the resulting ear will have kernels
> yellow and white.
>
> In your case are Chersonskaya Squash and Sweet
> Dumpling Squash different
> species or varieties? Squash may be zenic (sp?), I
> don't know. But based on your
> experience it would appear such. In most all plants
> the effect of the male
> pollen donor doesn't show up genetically until the
> resulting seed is planted.
>
> Jerry

> allowed.
> reproduction on web sites.