nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Effect of pollen on fruit

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Effect of pollen on fruit
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:13:26 EDT

In a message dated 3/23/2007 8:16:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jfruth@tds.net writes:

  Some time ago, someone mentioned that when cross pollinating a flower
with pollen from a different species, that the attributes of the pollinator
do not show up in the fruit.  My squash would not agree with that:  One of
my Chersonskaya Squash produced a female flower with no male flowers to
pollinate it so I cross pollinated it with Sweet Dumpling Squash pollen.
  All of my Chersonskaya Squash produced their normal green fruits except
for the one pollinated with Sweet Dumpling which produced a white fruit.
The white fruit contained white seeds whereas all of the other seed is
brown.

Hi Jim,

I'm going to write about a subject I know little of, but here goes.

When the pollen parent effects the fruit of which the pollen was applied it is called zinia (sp?). A good example is corn. If you mix a white corn with a yellow variety the resulting ear will have kernels yellow and white.

In your case are Chersonskaya Squash and Sweet Dumpling Squash different species or varieties? Squash may be zenic (sp?), I don't know. But based on your experience it would appear such. In most all plants the effect of the male pollen donor doesn't show up genetically until the resulting seed is planted.

Jerry