nafex - [NAFEX] Antique fruit books

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Antique fruit books
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:28:04 -0400

I have also found this archive.org resource to be tremendous. They have the underlying text recognized so you can search for keywords in the scans. It makes it very easy to find the page with e.g. a certain variety on it. Some of the character recognition is not so accurate so it is not always working well, but often it is extremely helpful. Also you can download the recognized text only in the .TXT links, which takes up much less disk space and download time. The only downside is the scan file size, which besides making the downloads slow also makes for slow page changes in your pdf viewer.

Here are a few others I found which Claude did not mention. There are also many others you will find if you search for words such as apple, fruit, orchard and the like.

A guide to the orchard and fruit garden; or, An account of the most valuable fruits cultivated in Great Britain (1833)
Author: Lindley, George
http://www.archive.org/details/guideorchardfruit00lindrich

Elliott's fruit book; or, the American fruit-grower's guide in orchard and garden...
Elliott, Franklin Reuben
http://www.archive.org/details/elliottfruitbook00ellirich

A guide to the literature of pomology (1915)
Bunyard, Edward A.
http://www.archive.org/details/guidetoliteratur00bunyrich

American pomology. Apples ([c1867])
Warder, J. A.