nafex - [NAFEX] Landscape advice-mahonia

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Landscape advice-mahonia
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:53:03 -0400

Here in central NC, zone 7, Mahonia has escaped and become an invasive
nuisance along roads and in our hardwood forests.

Has anyone else had a problem with this plant becoming invasive?

Betsy Hilborn
Ginda,
Grape holly (Mahonia) a Pac NW native, does well in total shade, blooms
in Feb march, has purple fruits. Have read of making jam from the
fruit; there may be some selections that are better fruited. Perhaps
someone on the list (Lon?) knows of one. The few I have tasted have a
bitter aftertaste, have never cooked the fruit.

We put two in planters where I work, north side of large building with
holly trees on either side of planters, so never direct sun. These
Mahonia have grown well always evergreen, yellow blooms on top, purple
fruit in spring. Easy to prune if they get too tall or leggy, as very
few stems.

Richard Moyer
East TN, Zone
Nanking cherries, Chaenomeles quince blooming

sites.
permission!

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.