nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 5 figs microclimate

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 5 figs microclimate
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:38:24 -0500

Plant the tree right next to the wall of the building and train it as an espalier flat against the wall.

The problem with planting anything real close to the wall is that my garage is an old, poorly-maintained wooden structure. I'm afraid the wood siding would deteriorate (even more than it has already) from moisture held close by the tree and its leaves. Also, I wouldn't be able to get at the siding to keep it painted (which would also be a problem if it was a foot or two away).

There's a small window in this wall, too. Otherwise, it's just a stud frame with wood siding,... and plenty of small holes. There would certainly be reflected heat from it during the summer, but there'd be almost no insulation value in the winter, I'd think. This tiny garage is detached from the house and certainly not heated. It would be simple enough to add some insulation to the inside of that wall, but I really doubt that would make much difference.

I appreciate the ideas. It seems that planting and growing a fig tree is probably doable, if I really want to make the effort. I'll keep thinking about it. Thanks!

Bill

--
"I hope," he said, carefully considering the advisability of each word, "that you won't take it in ill part if I say that at present I have no desire to join your nebulous state. The situation, bad as it is, would be less desperate if I could only feel that someone, no matter how invisible, was paying attention to the car." - "Topper" by Thorne Smith