nafex - [NAFEX] Figs and Parafilm

  • From: "Doc Lisenby" <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Figs and Parafilm
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:20:08 -0400

Down here in fig country we sometimes find it necessary to plant figs next to concrete foundations so the roots can get away from root nematodes. We also plant them with the upper part of the plastic pot in which they were rooted so the nematodes can't get to them until they are large enough to avoid nematode damage.(nematodes don't like to go deep) Clay soil seems to keep them under control but sandy soil harbors them. Figs will respond to rich soil by producing leaves rather than fruit, so keep that in mind when you plant them. They seem to like a lot of water but not soggy, boggy locations.

About the Parafilm; it was developed for use in medical laboratories to temporarily seal test tubes, etc. I haven't ordered any in years but your search for it should keep that in mind.
There are plenty of lab techs and workers who could be your source of supply. We had to order it by the case so the supply room in hospitals could be a source for nurses, etc. I'm not suggesting you schlep them but it may give you an idea of where you can get one or two rolls. In California, being as med tech courses are inexpensive, it might be worth your while to take a course.
Also, there is a new adhesive tape which is used these days to hold the pledget of gauze on the venipuncture site of a victim of blood-letting for diagnostic purposes which has possibilities of being used as a budding (and maybe grafting )tape. It is green (may be other colors) and is very stretchy. Its purpose is to prevent screams and curses from ripping the old adhesive tape off of hairy men. Donate some blood to the Red Cross and ask the person drawing the blood for a roll and tell them if they won't give you one that you won't give them any more blood. The VA is still using the cheap old tape for the purpose of degrading hairy veterans' egos. Demonstrate your knowledge of modern medicine by calling the person who draws blood, a "phlebotomist" and watch his/her eyes light up. You can get more with a cute smile and respect for a person's profession than you can with money or a gun.
Doc