nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 5 figs and Stark

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 5 figs and Stark
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:30:40 -0600

I bought several dwarf fruit trees from Stark Bro's - among other nurseries - last spring, which was my first experience with planting... pretty much anything. They were the last to arrive - much later than I expected - and I was very disappointed at the shipping, especially compared to the other nurseries. The trees were good-sized, but had been jammed into boxes with much splintering of limbs. There were a few small clumps of damp newspaper in the MIDDLE of the boxes, but not at the roots, which were bone dry.

I was pretty disgusted, and I sent them an email about it. But they told me not to worry about the dry roots, because they'd used some sort of special treatment on them. And every tree ended up growing just great. So I can't say I've really got any complaints, after all.

The only (minor) problem I've got is that I finally realized they use different common names for many of their varieties, so I'm never entirely sure what I'm getting. I've come close to buying the same variety twice, because Stark Bro's doesn't use the same name as everyone else. Well, I'm so new at all of this that it's surprising I haven't really had any big problems at all ... so far. :-)

Bill

--
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown, "Peanuts" by Charles M. Schulz