nafex - [NAFEX] Zone 5 figs

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zone 5 figs
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:21:11 -0600

Bill,
From my experiences with Stark Brothers, if they say a plant is hardy to zone 5, eg., it is probably zone 4 hardy. If I were you, I'd try their fig. I do hope you'll report back to us with your results.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

It seems that Stark Bro's is exaggerating a bit, since most of you
mentioned troubles with figs even in Zone 6. I'm trying to think of a
good location, but I don't think I'd have a microclimate that would make
much difference. On the other hand, it's generally hot and sunny - and
dry - here in the summer, so I might be able to ripen figs. Hmm,...
that's if a late freeze didn't put the kibosh on the whole thing.