nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cranberries

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cranberries
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:36:58 -0600

I have my cranberries (Stevens and North American) in the blueberry bed.  They are great groundcover for the upright blueberry bushes and thrive in the same peaty, acid soil.  I built this bed two years ago by layering bales of peat and composted oak leaves on top of the sandy ground.  The bed is about 8 inches high and bordered with bricks to hold in the media.  And, it's mulched thickly with pine needles.  Both berries thrive in this bed, and my crop last year was decent, considering it was the first year for both kinds of berries to bear.  I also added soil sulfur to the peat-leaf mix which I constructed the bed, and the pH is about 5.5.  The only fertilizer I add is in early spring for the blueberries.  I scratch a tablespoon or two of Miracle-Gro Acid food around the base of each bush.  I don't fertilize the cranberries or the crosnes (the other groundcover in the bed).

I purchased the Stevens cranberry from Jung's, a Wisconsin nursery and mail order company.  The North American came from Miller's catalog.
Doreen Howard
Zone 4b--Wisconsin-IL Border