nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cranberries

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cranberries
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:40:19 -0500

Hello,

I wonder if cranberries would not do well in buried bags of peat moss that are slit and soaked with water, dreating a mini-bog.  Tom

“The large-fruited American cranberry, Vaccinium macrocarpon, a member of the heath family, Ericaceae, is a native plant of open, acid peat bogs in northeastern North America. Well-tended cranberry bogs continue to produce annual crops for a century or more without replanting. Selections from the wild have been cultivated since the early 19th century. It is an evergreen perennial vine producing runners and upright branches with conspicuous terminal flower buds.

Commercial cranberry growing is confined to Massachusetts, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Washington, and Oregon and to several provinces in Canada. Most of the fruit destined for processing is harvested in flood waters, either by machines which pick and deliver the fruit into towed plastic boats or by water reels which detach the berries to float and be driven by wind to shore where they are elevated into bulk trucks. Berries for juice manufacture are usually vine-ripened and deep-frozen for a month or more prior to thawing and extraction.

Good-quality fresh cranberries can be stored for several months, refrigerated, with very little loss to decay. Good-quality cranberries can be kept in deep-freeze storage for several years with only minor moisture loss. Frozen berries on thawing are soft and juicy, unlike the firm fresh berry, and must be utilized promptly.

The special requirements of the cranberry plant for low fertility, acid soil, and winter protection make it a poor choice for home garden cultivation.”