nafex - Re: [NAFEX] More pots!

  • From: "regina@kreger.net" <regina@kreger.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] More pots!
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:53:17 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks, Charlie. Yes, that was my main misgiving too. Especially
since I've seen a prediction of a La NiƱa forming and maybe leading to
a hotter & drier than normal summer in 2007. Ideally I'd like to try
an air-pot inside a slightly larger solid plastic pot, if I could
somehow find one of the proper size. That would make it self-
watering. I've used self-watering pots for smaller plants, and they're
GREAT for maintaining even moisture. The plants just take up what they
need and no more. I especially like the self-watering seed-starting
flats. A tray of water, then a platform raised above the water level,
with a piece of fabric draped across the whole thing with one end
submerged in the water, then the bottomless seed cells on top of the
platform. See a picture of it at http://www.gardeners.com/APS-
Parts/default/StandardCatalog.APS_Cat.11802.cpd

I've also seen descriptions of homemade ones, made using a large
rubbermaid-type tub with upturned plastic food containers for risers
above the reservoir, and a piece of cloth run throughout the soil to
wick the moisture into it. I don't remember how they kept the soil
separate from the water --- probably used the tub lid cut down to size
as a platform.

Regina

----Original Message----<br>