nafex - [NAFEX] Carambola

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Carambola
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:19:45 -0600

Has anyone grown carambola (starfruit) from seed? I once saw a large, bearing tree in Sam Power's Santa Fe, TX hoophouse that was grown from seed. His wife Ginger started it from a grocery store fruit. I have three kinds of small bananas, a pomegranate, three kumquats and a Mexican breadfruit all growing in my sunroom here in snowy No. Illinois. I'd like to add a starfruit, but I don't know it's possible to keep it dwarf enough to fit indoors during our long winter.

Any experiences to share??
Doreen Howard