nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Carambola

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Carambola
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:13:47 -0600

Donna wrote:
Normally I tell people that it's a whole lot cheaper to grow  subtropicals than tropicals in a greenhouse, because subtropicals don't mind
if you let the temp drop down to close to freezing and leave it there.  Even  a little below will seldom hurt them if they have been cool for a few weeks.  True tropicals tend to pine below 50 degrees F.  But in your sunroom, I  guess you are going to keep it 50 and above just for yor own comfort.

True!  My sunroom, due to super insulation in the ceiling and an efficient ceramic wall heater, never goes below 58F, even if it's below zero outside.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on carambola.  I learned much and am encouraged that I can grown a container tree that will bear fruit.  I'll start seeds this weekend!
Doreen Howard