nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ribes odoratum (Clove or Buffalo Currant)

  • From: lovehd@comcast.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ribes odoratum (Clove or Buffalo Currant)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:35:26 +0000

Bill,

'Crandall' here loses leaves when it gets hot and humid, so I suspect foliar diseases. I doubt it is just heat stress, as 'Crandall' originated in a hotter climate than here. There is a clump of clove currants out by my pond that were here we we bought the place. They stop blooming just before 'Crandall' gets started, so little if any cross-pollination occurs. The early blooming clove currant has hundreds of flowers, but sets only 2-3 small fruits.

I have never pruned them. These are all planted over the past 2-3 years, and none have gotten very large yet.

Hal
zn6b, TN

From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>