nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Medlars, was Re: what's compatible with pear?

  • From: "Mark and Piper" <piper33@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Medlars, was Re: what's compatible with pear?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:19:21 -0800

I have a thought about why medlars were once valued but now seem strange.

Spices were rare in Europe until the age of cheap transport. The flavor of
medlar has been described as spicy applesauce. Cinnamon, cloves, etc were
too expensive for the average person in the Middle Ages. The flavor offered
by medlar would have been a treat to those people, especially considering no
refrigeration or canning was required. Just pick the fruits, pack them in
straw, and in the middle of winter you can enjoy this complex flavor. Not
much in each fruit, but it is something you can grow locally without much
effort.

-Mark Lee, Seattle