nafex - Re: [NAFEX] (NAFEX) Temperate berry crops

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] (NAFEX) Temperate berry crops
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 18:38:08 -0500

On Jan 4, 2007, at 4:13 PM, William C. Garthright wrote:

The fellow I quoted above failed to mention that carefully selected
blackberries are among the most delectable fruits one can eat.

Heh, heh. I've had people tell me this. My only experience is buying a
small (and expensive) carton of them in the grocery store. They looked
nice, but it was just like eating little lemons! I couldn't tell if they
had any other taste except sour. Admittedly, most grocery-store fruit is
lousy, so I'm willing to believe that home-grown blackberries would be
good. But I'm not really convinced they'd do well around here.

Ripe blackberries are excellent, and not terribly sour. (although I like sour fruit, so get other opinions.)

What climate zone did you say you were in?