nafex - [NAFEX] Ribes aureum selections

  • From: "Mark and Piper" <piper33@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ribes aureum selections
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:14:14 -0800

I have seen Ribes aureum growing in the woods. I ran across two named
selections of this species called Gwens golden currant and Idaho golden
currant. The wild ones I have seen are orange-fruited. These selections are
dark blue.

'Gwen's'
A superior selection from the wild with long bluish-black fruits. A
productive, hardy and drought-resistant plant.

'Idaho'
Large tear-drop shaped, blue-black fruits with a very good flavour.
Excellent for jellies, jams, wine and pies. This cultivar is especially easy
to harvest.

Has anyone had any experience with these? How did they do last year? I read
that they make nice raisins when they are left to dry on the bush.

-Mark Lee, Seattle