nafex - [NAFEX] Jellymaking Without Pectin

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Jellymaking Without Pectin
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:47:13 -0500

Of course it is possible to make jelly without added pectin, not only with
currants but with other naturally high-pectin fruits like Concord grapes and
crabapples. Generally, fruit that is marginally ripe has a higher level of
natural pectin than dead ripe fruit. I don't think I would try it with ripe
blackberries or raspberries. Both of my grandmothers made Concord jelly this
way; they simply boiled the hell out of it and added lots of sugar until the
spoon test told them it would jell. The resulting product was good, but very
sweet, and reducing sugar when depending on natural pectin is not an option.

I asked about pectin use in Mark's case because he seemed concerned that he was losing flavor by extensive boiling on the stove. Using added pectin, particularly an efficient jelling type such as Pomona's, eliminates the need for a long boil, and permits reduction of sugar volume by more than half if that is also an objective. We find low-sugar jellies to be much more in demand among our consumers than those that match sugar with juice cup for cup. It is also possible to make no-sugar jelly for diabetics utilizing artificial sweeteners like Equal. When my diabetic brother-in-law was still alive, we made a special batch of no-sugar blueberry jam for him every year.
We have used a steamer/juicer for 25 years to make large-volume amounts of juice from
fruits like grapes and blackberries, either for drinking or syrup. When I say
"large-volume" I am talking about gallons. Getting out the steamer/juicer
for most jellymaking, with juice amounts measured in cups, is overkill, since there are
several large parts to the steamer/juicer to clean up when you are finished. It is
easier to heat the fruit for jelly on the stovetop in a moderately sized pan with a
little water to start the steam, leave the lid on until the fruit is fully softened,
then strain it through cheesecloth or run it through a jelly cone to produce pure
juice. For larger batches, such as fruit syrup, use the steamer/juicer to produce the
juice, then bring the juice to a boil with pectin at about 1/3 the rate used in jelly,
with sugar to taste.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA