nafex - Re: [NAFEX] A date in the life of jujube farmers (China Daily)

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] A date in the life of jujube farmers (China Daily)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:57:47 -0600

At 09:14 AM 11/30/2006, Tom wrote:
Sounds like a wound is inflicted on the tree, spurring reproduction
activities. This works with many plants.

At the risk of inciting my beloved female NAFEX friends to come after me with pitchforks and torches, there's an old saw:

" A dog, a wife(husband), a hickory(or jujube) tree,
The more you beat 'em, the better they be."

Now, I would NEVER advocate beating your dog, or your wife, but there's a lot of anecdotal, and some scientific evidence, that beating a fruiting tree can incite heavy production.

In some of the old Southern pecan orchards, they bring senescent trees back into production while new trees are coming along by drastic pruning - shearing off all major limbs on one side, each year for 4 consecutive years(north side one year, south the next, east next, then west, etc.) - I've even seen some, lately, that were sheared back to a single stub, sticking up 10-15 ft in the air. Not pretty, but if they can get 8-10 years worth of production out of the old trees while the new ones are reaching bearing age, they can maintain some level of cash flow, removing the old trees once the new ones come into production.

Lucky