nafex - Re: [NAFEX] phyto toxicity (Oct 20 posting)

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] phyto toxicity (Oct 20 posting)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:58:04 -0800 (PST)

Please excuse delay in reply.

A couple WI observations:

I know of a small commercial orchard or large backyard orchard whihch was
sprayed w/
who-knows-what through the 1950s. Then for about 20 years, the only
management was
mowing & occasional harvests. When mowing was stopped, black walnuts--
planted by
squirrels-- sprouted riotously. The site is now a nice black walnut grove.

I see deer damage on black walnuts, i.e. browse of the seedlings and buck-rub
on the
saplings. The deer can't keep up w/ what the squirrels plant, but I think
you want
to fence or wrap anything you value.