nafex - Re: [NAFEX] phyto toxicity (Oct 20 posting)

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] phyto toxicity (Oct 20 posting)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:31:47 -0600

At 11:58 AM 11/23/2006, tanis wrote:
I see deer damage on black walnuts, i.e. browse of the seedlings and buck-rub on the
saplings. The deer can't keep up w/ what the squirrels plant, but I think you want
to fence or wrap anything you value.

Amen to that.
Starting in 1998, I planted several hundred pecan and black walnut seedlings, as well as a few chestnuts and selected oaks in a 100 ft riparian bufferstrip bordering the creek that forms the eastern boundary of my farm - total acreage, about 7 acres. This strip is fenced off so that the cattle/horses do not have access to this area.
Whitetail deer are a tremendous plague - they browse heavily - big-budded shellbark hickory cultivars grafted onto the seedling pecans are like candy to them. And in fall, the bucks can demolish well-grown trees by effectively girdling them from about 6 inches above ground level, up as high as they can rake them with their antlers.
A few - probably less than 20% of the trees I planted have been able to get past the hooved rats, and are now large enough that the deer don't pose a huge danger to them.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY