nafex - [NAFEX] Mulberry Questions

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulberry Questions
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:45:07 -0600

I'm in zone 3 and bought Illinois Everbearing Mulberry, Morus alba x M rubra, (rated for zones 4 - 8) from Burnt Ridge Nursery and Morus alba from I can't remember who - I think it was rated for zone 3. And I can't figure out who it is called "White Mulberry" because its fruit is black. Mine are female trees and bear via parthenogenesis. The White Mulberry has spherical fruit the size of small marbles and the Illinois Everbearing's fruit is of the same diameter but up to 2" long. Both are extremely delicious. What I don't like about them is that they drop their fruit as soon as it ripens.
I bought Mulberry trees because of claims that birds will eat its fruit and ignore other fruit. Not so here. "My" birds don't recognize Mulberry fruit as edible so it looks like I'll have to make jelly out of them so I'll hang sheets under them to collect the fruit as it drops.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Hello again;

Ty Ty nursery is selling mulberry trees

Bacchus Noir and Superberry

They are black Mulberry trees.

Their web site says they are hardy and productive, bla bla etc..
I am going to call them tomorrow, but in the meanwhile, have any of you bought these trees?

Do any of you have successful fruiting trees in zone 4 ?

Thank you
Trick or treat.
RM