nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pasteurizing

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher.ls@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pasteurizing
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:12:19 -0500

What kind of nuts are we talking about? The walnut and hickory I collect all have hulls when I collect them. Then they get dried and the hulls come off (easier with the hickories than the walnuts!). Once hulled, there's very little if any "dirt" or other contaminants left from when they were on the ground. You could certainly wash them at this point if you have any concerns, but I don't think its necessary (just my opinion mind you).

I agree with the "...colony they spawn in the sweet wet juice" idea on why dropped fruit is much more risky.

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B