nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pasteurizing

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pasteurizing
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 01:52:29 -0600

Those who sell their crops direct to the public have a liability if they do not take precautions in the processing of their crops. Here at Royal Oak Farm we process our own cider and our own honey. We purchase sanitized bottles for both. Then we sanitize them again before filling. We do not pasteurize our honey. there is no need to. But we do pasteurize our cider. We wash our cider apples in the same washer as our other apples in a Tsunami 100 solution for 45-60 seconds. all that is required is 25 seconds. When we use drops for cider, they are washed last and are run through the washer twice. Then we change the water before washing any other apples for that are processed for sale. We do not allow pets to be brought onto out grounds nor do we allow outside food to be brought in, since we are a certified food service with our county.

Our cider is flash pasteurized to 160 degrees. Cider pasteurized to 180 or above is no longer cider but apple juice, which is the main difference between the two. By the way, organic apples that have been sprayed with pyrethrines produce carcinogens when heated to 180 degrees or above. So much for healthy organics. Because we have school tours and each child gets a 1/2 pint of cider as part of the tour, we add 1/10 of 1% potassium sorbate to the cider going into those 1/2 pints as an additional precaution. Since 1997 when we opened to the public, we have never had an incident with someone getting sick from our products. Oh yes. and we sample each batch of cider, date it, and pull it if it has not sold in 14 days. We use the cider we pull in out cider donuts we make since it still has a shelf life of at least 7 more days.

When serving to the public, every precaution should be taken. We all work too hard for our products to make someone ill with them and lose what we have worked so hard for to attorneys!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>