nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tomato anecdotes

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tomato anecdotes
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:40:35 -0500

Jim wrote: An amazing number of market customers don't have a clue that home grown tomatoes might taste different from the 'cardboard' tasting tomatoes at the grocery store.

That's sure not true in Tennessee, where perfectly ordinary citizens in this small town go on about how there's nothing tastes like homegrown tomatoes. I will admit I am one of the few who refuse to buy grocery tomatoes, ever. Most people don't know it, but the potatoes at the grocery aren't nearly as good as locally grown ones either. Especially the GREEN potatoes that have sat under the lights are bitter and toxic.

Jim wrote: Californians actively sought new and different vegetables

That's because Californians are descended from the most neophilic of all neophilic Americans. Those immigrants who wound up in Minnesota who were not bored to tears by the flatness and sameness of the landscape remained and passed on their neophobic genes, while those who were restless moved on, taking their neophilia with them. Donna