nafex - [NAFEX] cook with Chinese quince

  • From: "M Stanton" <6ducks@comcast.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cook with Chinese quince
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:47:42 -0400

Rob,

Use recipes that call for apples, where the apples are to be cooked.  The quince make great apple-type desserts. You may have to adjust cooking times.  If you are hesitant, mix them half-half with apples and proceed as normal.  The ones I tried last fall (harvested from a tree in Augusta, GA) oxidized fairly quickly when cut, so maybe a dilute lemon-juice dip would have helped.  Cornell suggests that 6000 mg vitamin c, crushed and mixed into 1 quart water, makes a good pre-treatment.

Michele  Stanton