nafex - [NAFEX] Chart for acidifying Soil

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Chart for acidifying Soil
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:17:02 -0500

Wow, the computer sure screwed up that chart and I don't have a 'Word' program on this computer so I guess I'll have to wing it.

Here is one I found online for changing pH to 4.5, ideal for growing blueberries, assuming a start pH of 7.0:

Table 1 Changing Soil pH with Sulfur

pH of soil Sulfur (lbs. per 100 sq. ft.)
Soil Type
Sand Loam
4.5
5.0 0.0
0.4 0.0
1.2
5.5
6.0 0.8
1.2 2.4
3.5
6.5
7.0 1.5
1.9 4.6
5.8

I think it is straight-forward enough; if your soil pH is 6.5 and you have loam, you need to add 4.6 pounds of sulfur per 100 sq. Feet to attain a pH of 4.5. Bear in mind, though, that you won't get an instant reaction. Soil bacteria need to do the work and it will take months before the goal is achieved. The chart I sent before, the one that the computer screwed up called for pints of sulfur per 100 sq. ft. and/or pounds per acre. If you need that information, ask and I'll see what I can do.

Someone else asked for help elevating pH. I don't know where to find a chart for that. This is the best I can do without sending another chart for the computer to screw up. The amounts are pounds of calcium carbonate - If dolomite is used, add 12%:
To change pH 4.5 to pH 5.5 - add 25 lbs. for sand or loamy sand, 45 lbs. for sandy loam, 60 lbs. for loam, 80 lbs. for silt loam, 100 lbs. for clay loam and 200 lbs. for muck.
To change pH 5.5 to pH 6.5 - add 30 lbs. for sand or sandy loam, 55 lbs. for sandy loam, 85 lbs. for loam, 105 lbs. for silt loam, 120 lbs. for clay loam and 225 lbs. for muck.

That's the best I can do without getting really involved or doing more work than I have time for. Hope this all helps. If anyone needs my first chart, I could send it to you via snail mail.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com