nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chinese quince

  • From: derry and bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chinese quince
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 06:39:56 -0700

A Japanese customer asked me to find him a Pseudocydonia sinensis (Chinese quince). I did and asked him what he did with the quince.

When they are ripe he cuts them up and puts them in a bowl/container with an equal volume of coarse sugar and lets them sit for a couple of months. Then he strains out the fruit and to the syrup, adds an equal volume of vodka. He says it is excellent for killing colds and he uses it as a daily 'tonic'.

Another person from the Orient says he uses gin.

Derry