nafex - [NAFEX] what is it about nectarines? (and an introduction)

  • From: "V. Michael Bove, Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] what is it about nectarines? (and an introduction)
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:11:14 -0400

I should probably start by introducing myself, since I'm new to this list. We live on a small farm on the MA/RI border (zone 6) and grow a variety of fruits (usual and unusual -- it was our best year ever for wineberries, by the way). Once again this year (as every year) we have pretty good peaches (despite a too-wet May and too-dry July and too many plum curculios) and no nectarines. We have two beautiful trees of Zaiger white nectarine cultivars (Arctic Sweet and Arctic Jay) which as usual set loads of fruit that got gray fuzz and dropped despite our absolutely drenching them with combination pesticide/ fungicide. No one else around here seems to be able to grow white nectarines either, so there may be something unsuitable about our local situation. Do I need to do an extra-aggressive pruning job to get more sun and air into the trees? Does anyone have a particular fungicide to recommend? Thanks!
Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm