nafex - [NAFEX] Select Licencing of Fruut Varieties

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Select Licencing of Fruut Varieties
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

Paul Schwabe had an article in the Summer Pomona about the University of Minnesota and how one of their new varieties (MN#1914) is the first managed variety in the U.S.

Here is an article about some Minnesota growers who have taken offense to the managed variety paradigm, taking it to the state legislature.  It's a tricky topic, since the University is a public land-grant institution, some claim that they results of their research should be more readily available, but the University has to make money to support its research, research that in the past at least some of us have been able to benefit from.
I'm curious what this type of arrangement does to the home fruit growers...Are these varieties under license available to grow?

I hope they can come up with a solution that doesn't create exclusive orchards.

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/pressreleasels84.asp?district=18B&pressid=1230&party=2

Nate
Andover, MN