nafex - Re: [NAFEX] unripe grapes picked - use?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] unripe grapes picked - use?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:28:10 -0700

Juice them for verjus. It's been all the rage among CA chefs for the past
few years. It's acidic, but depending on variety and stage of ripeness, the
ration of sweet/tart is variable. It can be used in place of Meyer lemon
juice, vinegar (particularly aged balsamic or Chinese rice vinegar), or
orange juice (not to drink, but to use in salad dressings and marinades),
but the quantity you use - and the accompanying ingredients (sugar, oil)
will depend on your verjus. You can find recipes for verjus use on the net.

Stephen