nafex - [NAFEX] Japanese Beetle (JB) Attack

  • From: BRosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Japanese Beetle (JB) Attack
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:59:41 -0400

I called Dr. McBug, and because I am not large scale, the Spring Tiphia wasp was a lot over my budget.  He told me that we probably had the wasp up in the Tulip Poplars and on the Forsythias, however they don't fly far and the Tulip Poplars are 50' in the air - so that is where the wasps are.  I immediately started planting forsythia.  Maybe I can coax 'em down into the orchard!

If you call Dr. McBug, he will probably also tell you that the Hb Nematode may help with controlling the beetle. In Japan, there is not much problem with the JB, but they have over 65 things that eat the JB!  We have few.  I understand Sevin works on the beetle, but am loath to take that up, because now I have several million nematodes depending on me to treat them right!  To see what a grub looks like under nematode attack (it's creepy) see:  http://www.landscapemanagement.net/landscape/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=88433

Barbara Rosholdt
Zone 6b-7a Central Virginia
The Dome Place

Re: [NAFEX] Japanese Beetle Damage