nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Richard's Pomegranates

  • From: Nate <nrhora@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Richard's Pomegranates
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:29:48 -0700

Sometimes when you plant trees, you give them lots of fertlizer (and
alota roundup) and what happens? Well you give them WAY too much for
their own growth (you try hard enough) and they end up withering and
die. It happenned this year actually. I had a growth of palm trees.
They looked really promising, they seemed to have quite a few growth
spurts, the leaves seemed to come on really strong, and they looked
like perfect specimens for grafting purposes. I couldn't even put'em
on the parent tree, cuz there was a sudden extreme drought (no rain,
god forbid) and they just whitered away to nothing. It goes to show no
matter how hard you try with trees, in the end even with good solid
stock they seem to not be able to make it.

As a youth there was a story I use to tell my friends. We use take our
4 wheelers out on a breeze, hitting the trails and all. We use to make
our own trails through the woods, and a buddy of ours had a leaky
engine. The bastard never fixed it, and what happened? The foilage
that was there, never grew worth shit! We went back 2 months later,
and there was all these dead ferns, and what not. We noticed a
squirrel throwing down a few acorns (probably to gather later for
winter) but they started to grow (and my god they looked promising...)
and they just whitered away to nothing. They really could of been
something. But cuz of our buddy cruising through the forsaken woods,
those damn trees amounted to nothing. I look back on it now, and I
still go through those trails. Either way, around the same spot that
they grew, we found a bunch of oak trees at least 12/13 years old, and
they grew strong, but where are trails where...well there wasn't
anything there...I wonder why.

I talked to my buddy Riel about it, and all he had to say is he went
back month after month with his leaky engine, and he polluted it to
nothing, cuz he couldn't fix his goddamn engine (it prob. would only
cost $400-500 for an overhaul) to expensive in my opinion. Oh
well...those cousin trees of his prob. did way better off, maybe I
should transplant them in my area, cuz they'd prob. grow like fire
trees (and we all know how those grow)

Have a good one (I'm sweatin my balls off...naw not really, it's just
damn hot where I am)

Gord