nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Richard's Pomegranates

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Richard's Pomegranates
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:54:09 -0400

On Jul 23, 2006, at 1:14 PM, Dylan Ford wrote:

Folks - When Richard Ashton offered pomegranate cuttings I asked him if any
might make a go of it in Long Island's zone 6-7, and he had two that he
thought might possibly. I received four cuttings in February and followed
his instructions. All four leafed-out and rooted, and when it was warm
enough I moved them outside. A few weeks later one suddenly failed, I don't
know why, but I am left with three pretty little trees ready to go in the
ground.

Thanks Richard, I will keep you posted on their progress. dylan

He also shared four cuttings from 2 cold hardy varieties with me, in eastern Mass.' zone 6. The two that I put in brand new pots sprouted nicely, and the two that I put in a previously used pot rotted and died. I think there's a lesson there. Of the two that sprouted, i gave one to a friend, by way of diversifying my risk. He didn't get around to planting or watering it, so it died, too. The fourth is in my back yard. It has grown a bit since I planted it, and looks pretty happy, although I think it would prefer more sun and less rain. This winter, I plan to put a fence around it and completely cover it with shredded leaves, since snow cover isn't reliable, In the spring I will rake the mulch over the rest of the orchard. (Since I have a lot of leaves to dispose of every fall, this will be very convenient.)

I also thank you, and will keep you posted.

Ginda