nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Inexpensive Plum Curculio lure

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'Dennis Norton'" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Inexpensive Plum Curculio lure
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:38:25 -0700

A lot of growers hereabouts tried IPM as a transitional approach to organic.
They couldn't be convinced that organic produce could be attractive enough
for market, but after seeing the effects of using lower-toxicity approaches,
some made the switch to organic. The wine industry here was a silent leader
in organic culture - many vineyards converted decades ago, but didn't
advertise it - still don't - because they think consumers would think the
grapes were inferior or not free of pests.
IPM has been an easier sell. It can be less costly, less toxic, and better
for the bees, resulting in better crops.
I'm happy to hear about how you're using it.

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate