nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Inexpensive Plum Curculio lure

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Inexpensive Plum Curculio lure
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:46:46 -0500

IPM is alive and well in northern Illinois. This is one of our marketing pieces we provide for our customers:

Pest Management Practices

At Royal Oak Farm we use an approach called Integrated Pest management (IPM) to minimize the insect and disease damage to our fruit. IPM utilizes a combination of biological, natural, and cultural controls to keep applications of chemical controls to a minimum. We consult with a professional entomologist as we monitor a number of species of insects and mites in our orchard, including beneficial species (predators and parasites of pest species). Often there are enough beneficials to control the pest(s) without spraying. Every season we can traps to catch pest species as they enter the orchard and determine from the traps if there are too few of the pest to cause serious damage to the trees or fruit or too many that would cause economic damage.

A weather station in the orchard tracks temperature, rainfall, leaf wetness and humidity from March through September, and we use this information to monitor the progress and severity of various diseases that can attack our fruit.

All these efforts make it possible to apply chemical controls only a few times each season when they are truly required, and we have made it a policy to always use the most environmentally friendly materials available. The good health of our bees located all around the orchard is a testament to our insect and disease management strategy.

At Royal Oak Farm we are proud of the quality of the fruit we grow, and equally proud that through our monitoring efforts and the use of Integrated Pest Management procedures we need apply so few sprays to grow excellent products.

If anyone is interested in further information feel free to contact me.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>