nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prok Persimmon

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prok Persimmon
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:22:30 -0500

At 07:03 AM 6/23/2006, you wrote:
Does anyone know the story and origin of the Prok persimmon?  I've heard that it is a hybrid with kaki, and I've also heard that it is a seedling of Pipher.  Is its pedigree known?

John,
Following are descriptions I've run across:

from Cliff England:
Prok – A large (2 1/4 inch) fruit from New York, very sweet nearly seedless fruit that can be eaten straight from the tree when ripe. Tree is very productive and has very large ornamental leaves.

from Stark Bros.:

Prok Persimmon (Grafted)

Finally - an American persimmon as large as the orientals! This sweet, New York persimmon regularly bears huge crops of 2 1/4" fruit, ripening in mid-October and continuing throughout late fall. A great ornamental tree with beautiful foliage. Shipped potted at 8-12 inches tall. Tree grows to 35-50 feet tall and wide. Needs another Prok American Persimmon for pollination. Can't ship to CA.
Diospyros virginiana

Recommended Hardiness Zone Range : 5-8

(Note - if another persimmon were needed for pollenation,  another Prok would NOT be my choice, as I've seen no reports of Prok producing male flowers - LLP)

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY