nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prok Persimmon

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prok Persimmon
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:59:58 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/2006 2:23:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu writes:

Needs another Prok American Persimmon for pollination. Can't ship to CA.
Diospyros virginiana
Recommended Hardiness Zone Range : 5-8(Note - if another persimmon were needed for pollenation,  another Prok would NOT be my choice, as I've seen no reports of Prok producing male flowers - LLP)

Lucky Pittma

I suspect that description was written by some unfamiliar with persimmon. To say another one is needed is saying it is self fertile. Unless they are selling seedlings* of Prok and even then it wouldn't be true 100% of the time. If both seedlings were female or male, no fruit, provided there weren't "wild" males in the neighborhood. If one has a cherry that requires another variety for pollination planting another of the same species doesn't work. Likewise here. Looks to me that whoever wrote that description was interested in selling trees.

I've been told it is legal to sell seedlings of a named cultivar by that cultivars name. Some nurseries I'm told do that.

I have Prok here and it looks 100% pure virginiana.

Jerry