nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Actinidia kolomikta planting

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Actinidia kolomikta planting
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:53:11 -0500

Dean, I know what they say about how many males to females, but Hector
Black's one female vine with 2 or 3 males around it probably produces more
fruit than one male per 8 females( what is it running these days Hector? a
half ton a year I think it was.) I have a sneaking suspicion also that
since his plants are grown so they intertwine to some degree, the bees are
going back and forth from male to female flowers more often. Donna
P.S. While I personally do not care much for kiwis, I find it admirable
that they store so well, so he can sell the fruit for months after harvest.