nafex - [NAFEX] Amish Orcharding

  • From: Philip Stewart <philstewart24@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Amish Orcharding
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 08:55:34 -0700 (PDT)

Obviously one can't paint an entire group of people
with a single stroke, but my experience has been that
not only do the Amish often eagerly embrace chemical
agriculture, they are remarkably cavalier about the
dangers posed by the compounds involved. A coworker of
mine said the Amish near his place never wore any kind
of protective gear when spraying, not even gloves or
goggles. An Amish man my grandfather knew was still
using lead arsenate from a stash of the stuff in his
barn in the early 1990s. Another Amish fellow I spoke
to was almost creepy in his enthusiasm for
nicotine-based insecticides.

My guess, though, is that like many other technology
issues, stances on this issue varying among communities.