nafex - [NAFEX] Bagging, squirrels and plums

  • From: "" <rmelrose@danvilleVT.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: rmelrose@DanvilleVT.net
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bagging, squirrels and plums
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 12:06:26 -0400

I hope this is not a repeat post -- I think I messed up the first time!

I have a large Greengage plum which this year (I planted it some 17 years
ago) has set a reasonably heavy crop -- in the past few years the crop has
been quite light, although the tree has flowered rather spectacularly for
nearly 10 years. This is in Boston (rather than my usual fruit growing in
Vermont) and there are many, many squirrels around. Unfortunately they have
learned to eat plums, or at least to try them and throw them on the ground
after one bight, just before they are ripe. Has anyone got an idea of how I
might save at least a few for myself? I don't begrude the squirrels a
share, but last year I got exactly one, that was at the end of a long
branch. Bagging occurs to me as a possibility, although I don't know
whether the plums would survive (I suppose they would be likely to split as
I have had with pears) and more seriously whether it would be enough to
discourage the tree-rats. Anyway, I will try to bag a few of the plums.
Has anyone tried anything like this?

As to other possibilities, there is not much point in trying to trap the
squirrels,
since the reservoir seems to be essentially infinite and I cannot net the
tree --
it is both too large and in a very difficult location (half over the fence
for one thing).

Any suggestions welcome, or comments on plum-bagging; I do like stewed
greengages! If I thought they were only eating plums I might try squirrel
pie, but I fear they are not so picky and once-processed-garbage-pie
doesn't seem so attractive.

Richard