nafex - [NAFEX] Was: Using nylons to bag fruit; Now: Wax bags & Grapes

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Was: Using nylons to bag fruit; Now: Wax bags & Grapes
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:50:48 -0500

Bassem Samaan wrote:
Can Wax Paper bags be used instead? I'm wondering if I can bag my grapes as well. Grapes are normally infected by black rot wich is common in humid climates. Doesn't bagging cause exessive moisture on fruits?

I spent the holiday weekend bagging apples and the few set Asian pears in my little orchard.  My 84-year-old aunt visited and told me about how my Granddad (from who I inherited gardening fever) bagged all his grapes with the wrappers from saltines in the late 1930's and 40's.  She said all the kids had to help bag the little grape clusters, using string to attached bags they fashioned from the waxed wrappers.  He did it to keep the birds from damaging the grapes,  she said, but I suspect it was to prevent disease also.  He was an organic gardener before Robert Rodale.

My question is, like Bassem's, can you use plastic bags on grapes?  Or will the extra heat fry them?
Doreen Howard
Zone 4b
On the Wisconsin-Illinois border, where it's felt like Houston likely in terms of heat & humidity.