nafex - [NAFEX] What is this on this peach tree?

  • From: "Mark or Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What is this on this peach tree?
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:14:34 -0500

Hi,
I wonder if someone could tell me what's wrong with this peach tree. It is
a "White Princess" peach I've had for about 3 years. There is a red growth
on some of the leaves. Can you tell from the pictures if it is bacterial or
fungal? Also, I don't know if it's related, but there are some vertical
lines in the trunk that exude gum. This spring I noticed some loose bark
and cut it away and found these vertical lines partially healed. I sprayed
this tree with copper last winter.

Here are the photos:
http://www.nafex.org/uploads/p1010044.jpg 60K
http://www.nafex.org/uploads/p1010043.jpg 185K
http://www.nafex.org/uploads/p1010045.jpg 58K

Thanks,
Mark Angermayer
Zone 5 Kansas

P.S. My apologies to the Nafex webmaster. I didn't understand how to
properly label these photos.