nafex - [NAFEX] Magness pear

  • From: derry and bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Magness pear
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 13:06:36 -0700

Sam,

It is my understanding that Magness has some funny ploidy - tetraploid or something and is hard to pollenize. I was told that Moonglow is a pollenizer for Magness.

Derry

Brungardt, Sam wrote:
Doc and others, have you grown both Warren and Magness and how did
fertility, productivity, and fireblight resistance compare between the
two cultivars. I planted a tree of Magness/OHF333 at my mother's in
west-central Kansas (Zone 5b) and it has borne next to no fruit over the
years. I'm about ready to rip it out and plant something else. -- Sam
Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (Zone 4a)