nafex - Re: [NAFEX] No peaches this year

  • From: rmelrose@silicondairy.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] No peaches this year
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 17:35:52 -0400 (EDT)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri May 12 10:33:34 2006
> From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
> Subject: [NAFEX] No peaches this year
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> I don't know about anyone else in Zone 5/5a but we will have very few
> peaches this year on our 900+ peach trees. After having consulted with our
> entomologist who services northern Illinois, Wisconsin, southern Michigan
> and southern Minnesota, he indicated that is also the case at other
> orchards
> in his territory, especially southern Michigan. Seems like the several +50
> degree days we had in January were enough to fake out the peach trees into
> thinking it was time to come out of dormancy. Just about the time they
> woke
> up, it went to below zero for a few nights and bingo! We have plenty of
> buds, but very few blossoms. Anyone else experience this? Now, our pears
> are a different story. We have more blossoms than we can remember for
> quite
> a few years. Go figure.
>
> Dennis Norton
> Royal Oak Farm Orchard
> http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
> http://www.theorchardkeeper.blogspot.com
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

To add a note on the absurd side, here in zone 4a/3b in the N.E. Kingdom of
Vermont I have a peach tree flowering for the first time ever! This is an
Intrepid and has what is really a decent flowering. I would be pretty
surprised if it actually sets any fruit, but hope springs eternal. It is a
good year here for pear (the ussuriensis crosses are early) and plum
blossom, also currants and gooseberries; sour cherries just starting.

Richard