nafex - [NAFEX] Hawthorne Butter

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hawthorne Butter
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 17:00:01 -0500

Hi all,
We deciced to make Hawthorne Jam from "English" Hawthorne fruits (C.
monogyna).
Lessons learned:
It takes quite a bit of water and time to cook down hawthorne fruits enough
so the
can be squeejed into a sauce. A steam juicer may be much more effective at
this
extraction. We ended up with 4 cups of puree/sauce to 3 or 4 quart bags of
frozen
fruit. Keep stirring and adding water so they don't burn/scald.
At this point we decided a thicker "butter" was the only option, so we did
the
usual canning regimen, added a little lemon juice and sugar to taste. Upon
cooling
and trying this the next day, we recognized that the flavor had gotten much
more
subtle. It is subtle pear-like but slightly granular, but good. We should
have
added more sugar and a little more lemon juice, and maybe do the fruit juice
for
pulp swap using a cup of apple cider. The flavor on its own is nice, kinda of
like
yams and pears and something els, but even with just bread and butter, it was
lessened considerable. We'll try it again next year, but pear butter probably
would
beat it out each time.
sincerely,
Heron Breen
zone 4b, Maine

  • [NAFEX] Hawthorne Butter, Heron Breen, 05/12/2006